I'm now taking bookings for my classes in September.
Do something different for a perfect day out with a friend or make new friends in a nice relaxed atmosphere. The workshops and classes cater for all ages and levels of ability from complete beginers, to advanced students who may want to sell their work, or are currently in third level and want a little extra tuition. All mediums can be taught, oil and acrylic, watercolour, drawing skills, portfolio preparation, abstract painting, portraits and lots more...... Jennifer is a gentle and encouraging teacher and will cater her teaching to suit you.
- Monday 14th Sept, 7pm until 9.30pm
- Tuesday 14th Sept, 7pm until 9.30pm
- Wednesday 15th Sept, 7pm until 9.30pm
- Tuesday Morning class now full
- Tuesday Afternoon class, 4 weeks, 3pm until 5pm,
Materials are included for beginners for the first class. We will not have class the week of the bank holiday in October.
To book use the Contact me form on the website.
Only €60 per day including lunch and light refreshments.
Also back by demand, One Day workshops, only €60 per day including lunch and light refreshments.
Dates Available, Saturday 9th of May, Sunday 10th of May, Saturday 23rd of May. Saturday 30th of May. Further dates may be added, subject to demand.
Frequently asked Questions
What is taught?
Oil and Acrylic, Still life, Portrails, Landscape, and abstract/conceptual work can be taught. Drawing skills can also be taught in a variety of media including pencil, pen and ink, chalk, pastel and mixed media as well as portfolio preparation and preparation for the Leaving cert still life exam. Materials can be provided, I am a working artist with plenty of art materials to hand, so if you wish to try out a new medium without the expense of investing in all the materials necessary you can do so at no extra cost.
Absolute beginers generally start off with painting a landscape that they chose themselves. I have plenty of images to chose from or they can also bring along an image. They learn about composition, colour mixing and colour theory. Intermediate and advanced students work on their own projects, learning about glazing, scrumbling and other painting techniques.
What is the atmosphere like?
The studio is a calm and relaxed place where you can immerse yourself in your work or enjoy fun and natural banter that goes on. It has excellent natural light in a south facing room with velux windows. We also take our tea/ coffee breaks in a separate room so that one can take a complete break from ones work and return to it with a fresh eye. I have plenty of my own works to hand to show various techniques and examples.
Where are the workshops run
The Workshops are quite centrally located in Galway.They are run in Newcastle, Galway, just across the road from NUIG. Classes generally run year round.
Who teaches the workshops?
The workshops are taught by Jennifer Cunningham a native Galwegian and a professional artist who paints in oils, acrylic and watercolour. She has many years teaching experience and has taught in the National Gallery, in IADT and NCAD in Dublin. She exhibits regularly with the Royal Hiberian Academy and has been awarded a studio there for six months. She set up her Artscapes art school in 2009 and really enjoys teaching and passing on knowledge. She graduated with a Masters in fine art from NCAD in 2008
She is also a printmaker and is a member of the Blackchurch studio in Dublin. She graduated with a first class honours degree from GMIT in 2002 . She has won several awards for her work including the Henry Higgins Traveling Scholarship and the Taylor art award. She exhibits nationally and internationally and her work is in several public collections including the OPW and ESB
What about Travel?
With the motorway one can be in Galway in less than 2 and half hours. There are regular connections by Rail and Bus. So it is possible to commute from Dublin as the workshops start at 10.00 in the morning and finish at 5pm. One can also stay for a nice weekend in Galway. I have also included accomodation details here.
Both Go Bus and City link offer commuters a comfortable and efficient journey with an average journey time of 2 hours 45 minutes, and a flat rate of just ?10 each way.
They both have excellent leg room, free wifi and on board toilet facilities.
They operate from the Quays in Dublin and the brand new, LAMA Award winning Coach Station on the Fairgreen Road in Galway, where morning departures begin as early as 01:45am, almost hourly until 18:45pm. Coaches leave Dublin Airport from 06:45am, with regular departures, right up until 23:45pm
Is there B and B accomodation near the art classes
Yes, see the list below.
- Desota House B and B, 54 Newcastle Road, Galway, tel: +353 91-585064
- Burke's House, 113 Upper Newcastle, Galway, tel: +353 91 524394
- Burke, Annette, 201 Laurel Park, Newcastle, Galway, tel: +353 91 521844
- Corless, Mary, Coolavalla, 22 Newcastle Road, Galway, tel: +353 91 522415
- Corrib Haven, 107 Upper Newcastle, Galway, tel: +353 91 524171
- Hazel Villa, 20 Hazel Park, Newcastle, Galway, tel: +353 91 523326
- Holmes, Noreen, Hazel Lodge, Newcastle Upper, Galway, tel: +353 91 524738
- Villanova, 40 Newcastle Road, Galway, tel: +353 91 524849
- DeSota House, 54 Newcastle Road, Galway, tel: +353 91 585064
- River Inn, 37 Newcastle Road, Galway, tel: +353 91 527922
- Corrib Village (Baile na Coiribe), Baile na Coiribe, Newcastle, Galway, tel: +353 91 527112
- O'Connell, Mary, 51 Hazel Park, Newcastle, Galway, tel: +353 91 522742
- Aneesha B&B, 4 Ashgrove, Newcastle, Galway, tel: +353 91 524250
- Bologna, 30 Newcastle Lower, Galway, tel: +353 91 523792